Brighten up weekday dinners with this flavourful stir fry noodle dish, a Malaysian-favourite!
Looking for a go-to stir fry noodle recipe you can whip up in a jiffy? This delicious mee goreng recipe is packed with flavour and takes minimal effort to make! A staple street food in Malaysia, this savoury dish featuring ramen noodles, meat, and vegetables all stir fried beautifully in a fragrant Asian-style sauce is sure to be a crowd favourite! Make this lovely dish for your friends and family at festive events, liven up weekday dinners, or enjoy it as a snack anytime of the day!
For this mee goreng recipe, we used a Lodge Cast Iron Pan as it is great for high heat cooking and heat retention, and is wonderful at sealing in the natural flavours of meat, seafood, and vegetables to create a sensational experience with every bite. If you’re short on ingredients, simply use what you have in the fridge. Swap in your favourites or try it with fresh pineapple, tofu, broccoli, sweet peppers, carrots, asparagus, snow peas, english peas and more.
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes 2 Servings
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of sambal or sriracha
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 ramen spice packets
For the Stir Fry:
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- ½ pound meat or seafood
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chili, thinly sliced
- 2 cups leafy greens, frozen or fresh, mustard greens, spinach, kale, or cabbage
- 2 packs instant ramen noodles
- 1 bunch scallions, cut in ½ inch tubes
- 5 sprigs cilantro, leaves diced, stems chopped
- 1 lime, cut in half
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
2. Then, add oil to your hot wok and brown the meat.
3. Add garlic and chilis. Stir fry for 1 minute.
4. If you are adding additional ingredients, add them next.
5. Once you are done, add the mustard greens and stir fry for 3 minutes.
6. Remove your wok from heat and set aside.
7. In a separate pot, bring water to a boil.
8. Boil ramen noodles to packet specifications. Usually, 4-5 minutes for al dente consistency.
9. When noodles have 1 minute left to boil, turn wok back on to high heat and add scallions.
10. Remove noodles from water, drain thoroughly, and add them to the wok. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
11. Add sauce and stir fry for an additional 2 minutes.
12. Remove from heat, add cilantro and a squeeze of ½ of a lime over the top.
13. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Recipe Source: Lodge
Next Read: Benefits of Lodge Cast Iron Cookware