This spiced sloe gin is festive and easy to make, perfect for the ultimate Christmas drink.
Christmas is in the air! Ready for Christmas entertaining? This simple yet flavourful sloe gin recipe is a must-have for your upcoming festive events. Originating from England, this festive liqueur consists of gin that is infused with sloe berries found all over England. Beautifully infused with sloe berries along with Christmas-themed spices such as nutmeg and cinnamon, this stunning, spiced ruby sloe gin is sure to charm your guests.
We used this Kilner Jar with a generous 2L capacity to easily fit the ingredients needed for this recipe, but you may use any large capacity preserving jar for your sloe gin. This lovely spiced liqueur is usually served neat or warm, but you can also add it to your cocktails, or mix it with chilled apple juice. Delight your loved ones with a delicious sloe gin cocktail during your Christmas dinner, or simply enjoy it at an intimate Christmas date with your special someone.
- 700ml gin
- 800g sloe berries
- 280g granulated sugar
- 1 star anise
- A few cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- A pinch of nutmeg
1. Wash your berries and dry them thoroughly.
2. Prick each berry with a sharp tool such as a pin or a fork, helping to release juices and flavours.
3. Add the berries to the Kilner Clip Top Jar. Then, add in gin, spices, and sugar, and store in a dark, dry place.
4. Tip the jar upside down and gently shake every couple of days to allow the ingredients to agitate together, enriching the flavour.
5. Leave the mixture for 2-3 months (note: the longer you leave it the better it will taste).
6. Strain the liquid using the muslin cloth and decant into individual Kilner Clip Top Bottles for serving.
7. Extra sugar can be added after to taste.
Recipe source: Kilner